Monday, September 22, 2008

Monday Monday

Sorry for not posting in a couple days. I'm afraid I just needed to enjoy the weekend. Saturday night was amazing. If I didn't mention it before, JMU played Appalachian State. It had been built up for weeks and it did not disappoint. I suppose a quick recap is necessary since its kind of a big deal.

The first half JMU got like two first downs. It was pretty pathetic on our part. App State went into halftime leading in pretty much every category including the big board. 21-0 to be specific. People all around us, who spent the first half standing in the stairs looking for seats, just gave up and left.

The second half was completly different. Scotty returned the second half kickoff for touchdown. After a defensive stop, Rodney Landers took draw up the middle for like 65 yards to draw the score to 21-14. Momentum is a funny thing. After we scored twice in the first four minutes of the second half, there was no stopping us.

Fast forward a bit. Less than a minute left, we led 35-32 ready to receive the App State onside kick. Students surrounding the fence ready to storm the field the second time expired. I actually think we went a little early. There should have been one more second left on the clock. But who cares? I kind of fell off the fence when I tried to climb it. I thought I had ripped the knees in my jeans open. It didn't matter, we won, and I'm sure I wasn't the only person to do that.

In other news. Training camp has officially begun. Apparently Bruce did the same conditioning test with the vets as he did with the rookies last week. No surprise was that Ovie finished first in every sprint. Thats what you get when you pay $124m.

Also, Gabby has started what will likely be a new tradition at Caps training camp for years to come. The "Gaetan Duchesne Cup" as it will be known, is a round robin of three teams who play each other once.

Per Tarik quoting Boudreau-- "Gaetan was an eighth round draft choice and made the team. The epitomy of training camp is about the guys trying their [butts] off to make the team," Boudreau said. "What better guy could we have than Gaetan?"

Team B (Fedorov, Semin, Laich, Theodore, etc.) has already beaten Team C (Nylander, Clark, Green, Bouchard, Perreault, Alzner) who will play Team A (Ovie, Backstrom, Kozlov, Varlomov). Hopefully the guys will take to it and will put forth the extra effort to win bragging rights for the rest of camp. My money is on Team A because Ovie doesn't like to lose at anything.

I apologize if the post wasn't great. I'm really tired and I wasn't really in the updating mood right now.

No comments: