Thursday, September 25, 2008

Wednesday Night Win--4-1


The Caps are scheduled to play seven preseason games before opening night October 10. Tonight was the first of them in Raleigh. After listening to most of the first period, I was fortunate enough to find a live feed of the game through the Canes' website. Just in time too because Steve Kolbe's voice and awful name pronunciations were getting to me. I'm pretty sure it's not Var-LOM-ov.

I only saw the second period through the live feed, but that was enough to get a feel for how we were doing. As expected, neither team played many high profile players. Nylander, Kozlov, and Bradley were the three biggest names for the Caps. In fact Bradley was given the 'C' tonight, apparently after begging Boudreau to give it to him for the night. I've always liked Bradley's leadership and it wouldn't shock me if he continues to wear the 'A' this season.

I need to go to bed so here's what I noticed about the second period. As much as it pains me to say, Flash looked like one of the better skaters on the ice. He put in two powerplay goals, one of which I saw. That is the way he is supposed to play every night. Keep in mind that it was basically an AHL game tonight. We'll see what happens.

Simeon VARlamov got the start and played extremely well from what I saw. He stopped all 20 shots that he faced and got some praise from Gabby after the game. Darren Machesney, on the other hand, was not good. He only gave up one goal in his half of the game but looked like he was overwhelmed. He gave up the penalty that led to the Canes' only goal because he picked up the puck way out of his net. It was hard to tell exactly what happened without a replay. That's what preseason is for.

I need to sleep. That's all for now.

Caps 4 - 1 Canes

No comments: