Sunday, September 7, 2008

Goodbye RENT


Today is a landmark day for Broadway. At 6:30 pm Eastern Standard time today, September 7, 2008, the groundbreaking rock opera "RENT" will perform one final time.


My story with RENT begins just a few years ago with the releasing of the 2005 film version. I have a close personal association with Mimi and Roger. Their story, in a way, parallels the real life story of my girlfriend and I. That is probably the reason why RENT means so much to me.


But of course that is just a small chapter of the twelve year run on Broadway. It is certainly one of the most influential and important. The story takes place in New York City's East Village. Seven friends make the best out of their struggle against life, love, drugs, and AIDS. It teaches lessons that people of every background can appreciate and should apply to their lives.


RENT will close as the seventh longest running production in Broadway history. This summer I tried to get tickets when I found out it was leaving Broadway. Unfortunately arrangements were never made and that time has run out. But with the popularity of the play, I'm sure it won't be hard to find tour dates near my area.


RENT will be missed.

No comments: